Sunday, October 16, 2016

On the Night You Were Born

"On the night you were born,
the moon shone with such wonder
that the stars peeked in
to see you
and the night wind whispered,
'Life will never be the same.'
Because there had never been
anyone like you...
ever in the world." ~Nancy Tillman
Nora Madeline Grace Lesley was born on June 30, 2016;


Georgia Lane Lord was born on August 21, 2016;
And my world has not been the same since.

These perfect miracles bring me an oceanic joy that have rearranged my molecules.

The depth of love I have for these sweet girls makes my head spin. I think this is because they belong to two of my best friends, who are sisters, and I have been lucky enough to be side by side with them over the last 8 years.


 I met Nora's mom first. We taught together for a few years and bonded instantly. We saved each other's lives while in the throes of teaching. Our much needed happy hours consisted of many tears, laughs and strategic plans to get the hell out of teaching. 

{We have since resigned to the fact that teaching is where we are supposed to be, but that we absolutely wouldn't survive if we didn't have each other. No joke. I would be long gone if it wasn't for Nora's mom.}

 I was in her wedding and if we had met a year earlier, she would have been in mine. 
She just gets it--She knows me and we are able to connect on a genuine, deep level. She's "my person" and I honestly don't know what I would do without her. 


Through her, I met Georgia's mom. Georgia's mom and I share a special bond that grew from the common experience of PTSD from childhood "Holy Ghost Dancing" and the embarrassing fact that we still watch Grey's Anatomy. 



I am pretty sure we knew each other in a past life as our connection has an ease and depth that I have rarely experienced. She loves completely and I am no exception. 

These amazing souls have graciously invited me into their sisterhood and now I get to lavishly love their children.

*     *    *
Nora Madeline Grace Lesley

Nora arrived 2 WEEKS late. Plan A was that I would be in town--at the hospital--when she arrived. Nora's parents chose to not find out the gender so I was on pins and needles to know if my little sweet pea would be a girl or a boy...



The first part of June was dedicated to finalizing plans for my parent's 50th wedding anniversary/family reunion at the CABIN!.  I postponed my trip to MN 4 days in hopes she would arrive while I was still in town. She did not. 



I called Nora's mom on my way out of town and cried. I was so sad not to be here for her birth. But, thanks to texting, I was in on the waiting, and waiting, and waiting....
Nora's mom pushed for 4 hours. Hours. {!!!!!!} And Georgia's mom texted me all the way through. She finally arrived around 2:30AM and I burst into tears when I saw that SHE was here. Nora. Nora was here and my world got brighter.



{I just found out that Nora's name means light--and to say that this is PERFECT for her is an understatement.} 



My first time meeting Nora felt like an out of body experience. I could tell that, like her mom, she just gets it. There is a special place in my heart for her and I love her beyond words.



*  *  *
Georgia Lane Lord
"As sweet and clear as moonlight through the pines." ~Ray Charles

Georgia's parents' journey of becoming parents  has been a thick, unpredictable, scary, strange, and lonely forest. When they decided to adopt, they quickly learned that the adoption process {especially when tied to infertility} is lonely, not talked about very openly and it requires lots of energy and support. They have been amazing through all of this. 


When Georgia's mom told me that they were matched with a family in AZ and that Georgia was due in August, I BURST into tears. We were getting a manicure and we may or may not have made a scene. The relief, anxiety, anticipation and excitement we felt flooded us. 



The next few months were a roller coaster of emotions for Georgia's mom (and dad) and they were incredible through it all. 


Once they were in AZ, the waiting period of receiving the text that Georgia was theirs was intense. And I am only the aunt. I can't imagine the weight of waiting they felt. 
{This article  begins to capture this--please read it!}



Georgia truly is the sweet and clear moonlight through the pines. 
She has brought light and love to my life and I love her beyond words.



These girls have altered my universe. 
I love them with all that I am and I look forward to continuing to see them grow and change the world for the better.
They already have. 




No comments:

Post a Comment